6 December 2017

All images from the General Papal Audience every Wednesday

6 December 2017

Postby Alice » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Wednesday 6 December 2017

Pope Francis asks for Jerusalem to maintain its status to avoid more tensions

Pope Francis has said he's “deeply worried” by Donald Trump's decision to move his embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

POPE FRANCIS
“Everyone should be committed to respecting the city's status quo, in accordance with the pertinent UN resolutions.”

The pope reminded that Jerusalem is “a unique city – sacred for Jews, Christians and Muslims – who venerate the Holy Sites of their respective religions,” which makes it a city called to cultivate peace.

POPE FRANCIS
“I pray to the Lord that its identity to be preserved and strengthened for the benefit of the Holy Land, the Middle East and the whole world and that wisdom and prudence prevail to prevent new elements of tension from being added to a global context already convulsed by so many cruel conflicts.”

Officially, Jerusalem is a territory disputed between Israel and Palestine, the subject of international negotiations.

For that reason, no country has its embassy to Israel there. Donald Trump wants to open his there, though. This gesture would justify Israel's position.

Yesterday, the president of the Palestinian National Authority spoke by phone with Pope Francis, who was concerned about the consequences this decision could have.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Pope recounts recent trip to Myanmar and Bangladesh

Pope Francis summarized his trip to Myanmar and Bangladesh last week during his General Audience.

As the first pope in Myanmar, he took the opportunity to promote communication between political and religious authorities saying, “I stressed the importance of dialogue and cooperation in the building of a society in which everyone, with the exclusion of none, is accepted and respected.”

In Bangladesh, his main focus was expressing solidarity with the Rohingya refugees. He said his Pastoral Visit “ended in a sign of hope for Bangladesh, for all of Asia, and for the whole world.”

SUMMARY OF CATECHESIS IN ENGLISH

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

My recent Pastoral Visit to Myanmar and Bangladesh was memorable for my encounter with those two great peoples and for a wide variety of fruitful meetings. Mine was the first visit of a Pope to Myanmar, a nation gradually moving toward a new experience of freedom and peace. At Mass, in the celebration with young people, in my encounter with interreligious leaders in that predominantly Buddhist country, and in my meetings with the state authorities, I stressed the importance of dialogue and cooperation in the building of a society in which everyone, with the exclusion of none, is accepted and respected.

In Bangladesh, a country of Muslim majority, I reaffirmed the importance of dialogue and cooperation between Christians and Muslims. I wished also to express solidarity with the country’s efforts to provide relief amid the crisis of the Rohingya refugees. A highlight of my celebrations with the Catholic community was the final Mass with young people, which was attended also by young followers of Islam and other religions. In this way, my Pastoral Visit ended in a sign of hope for Bangladaesh, for all of Asia, and for the whole world.

I greet the English-speaking pilgrims and visitors taking part in today’s Audience, particularly the groups from Wales, Denmark, Nigeria and the United States of America. I offer a particular greeting to the members of the World Youth Alliance and the musical group Up with People. Upon all of you, and your families, I invoke joy and peace in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Both reports and videos with very kind permission from Rome Reports TV News Agency

PHOTOS TO FOLLOW
Alice

6 December 2017

Postby Alice » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Photo no: 886815702
Photographer: Andreas Solaro/AFP/Getty Images

Photo no: 886815940

Photo no: 886819884

Photo no: 886862102
Photographer: Massimo Valicchia/NurPhoto via Getty Images